Chocolate Chip Banana Coffee Cake. This coffee cake is the perfect medley of banana and cinnamon with a swirl of semisweet chocolate chips!
Let me walk you through the step-by-step process of making this banana chocolate chip coffee cake:
Firstly, we will cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add an egg, some vanilla extract, our mashed bananas, and ricotta cheese. Continue beating this until well combined.
Next, we whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Add this to the wet ingredients and slowly beat on low speed just until incorporated.
Spread half of the batter into a greased 9X9-inch cake pan. Now, we make the brown sugar/cinnamon/chocolate chip filling simply by stirring all three together. Sprinkle half of the filling mixture on top of the batter.
Top with the remaining half of the batter followed by the remaining half of the filling mixture. When you are finished you should have layers of batter, filling, batter, filling -- 4 layers in total.
Then into a 350℉ oven it goes for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool for at least 20-30 minutes before serving.
My goal for the rest of the year is to include more cake & cupcake recipes! I've noticed that I'm lacking in the cake department!
Please share any recipe suggestions in the comments below! I'd love to hear what kind of recipes YOU want to see on my blog! Thank you so much for supporting me by reading my posts and making my recipes!
This cake would be perfect for an afternoon coffee time treat or for dessert served warm from the oven with ice cream! Yum!
Chocolate Chip Banana Coffee Cake
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- ⅔ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Grease a 9X9-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl using an electric handheld mixer, cream together the butter and sugar on high until fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla, mashed bananas, and ricotta and continue beating on medium until fully combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and beat on low just until all the flour mixture is incorporated.
- Mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and chocolate chips to make the filling/topping. Spread half of the batter evenly into the prepared pan and sprinkle half of the filling mixture on top. Then, gently spread the rest of the batter on top and lastly, sprinkle on the last of the topping.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for at least 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,