These Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes are tender and fluffy in texture, full of deep chocolate flavour, and topped with creamy chocolate buttercream and chocolate shavings.Jump to Recipe
Looking for a good staple chocolate cupcake recipe? Look no further, this recipe is the only one you will need! These cupcakes are moist and tender, not crumbly and dry. They have a deep chocolate flavour from the Dutch-processed cocoa in the recipe. This recipe is also very easy to make, no mixer required. And the chocolate buttercream? Creamy frosting perfection!
Here are some more cupcake recipes to make after you try these Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes!
- Brownie Cheesecake Cupcakes -- Brownie cupcakes topped with creamy cheesecake frosting.
- Cookies & Cream Cupcakes -- These cupcakes start with a boxed cake mix which makes them so easy!
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting -- Perfect for Fall, these incredibly moist pumpkin cupcakes are topped with the best salted caramel frosting.
Now that I have a recipe for amazing homemade chocolate cupcakes, my next project is working on a killer recipe for vanilla cupcakes made entirely from scratch. It is so hard to find a good vanilla cake/cupcake that doesn't taste like cardboard, haha! My plan is to develop a fantastic one!!
If you make this recipe (or have made any of my recipes!), I invite you to please share an authentic review and star rating in the comments below. Or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets and please be sure to tag me so that I can see it. Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets! ♡
Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes
- 12-count muffin tin(s)
- cupcake liners or non-stick spray
- mixing bowls
- measuring cups & spoons
- electric handheld mixer
- piping bag fitted with large open star tip (I used a Wilton 1M for the cupcakes pictured)
For the Cupcakes:
- ¼ cup salted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (I use Dutch-processed cocoa)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the Frosting:
- ¾ cup salted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 3 cups powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- optional: chocolate shavings for topping
To make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Prepare muffin tins with 18 cupcake liners or grease with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, oil, sugar, vanilla, vinegar, and eggs until well combined. Add the sour cream and milk and whisk until incorporated.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, sifted cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour the dry ingredient mixture into the bowl with the combined wet ingredients and stir just until no streaks or large lumps of flour remain. Do not overmix!
- Distribute the batter evenly between the 18 cupcake liners in the prepared pans, filling each liner about ¾ full. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pans for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
To make the Frosting:
- In a large bowl, cream together the room temperature butter and sifted cocoa using an electric handheld mixer on medium-high speed. Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing on low between each addition. Add 2-3 tablespoons of milk and beat the frosting at high speed until fluffy.
- Frost the fully cooled cupcakes using a piping bag fitted with your desired tip. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings, if using. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,