Jalapeño Cheddar Scones -- savoury buttermilk scones filled with flavourful cheddar cheese and jalapeños. These scones would be delicious served with a bowl of soup!Jump to Recipe
What could be cozier than a bowl of hearty soup on a chilly day? A bowl of soup with a buttery homemade scone, duh! These are the perfect "soup scones". The savoury flavours of cheddar cheese and fresh jalapeños are so tasty in these buttery scones.
Worried about the jalapeños being too spicy for you? You can totally cut the measurement of jalapeños in half if you'd like. But I wouldn't worry, the amount of peppers used is not substantial and jalapeño peppers aren't typically very spicy and you will remove the seed for this recipe. I think you will love these scones even if you aren't a fan of spicy food. It's more of the jalapeño flavour we're going for in this recipe, not the heat.
That being said, I recommend wearing (food-safe) gloves when you clean and cut up the fresh jalapeños. Trust me, I've done it without and my fingers felt pretty tingly for a few hours after!
Here are some other scone recipes to check out!
- Blueberry Brown Butter Scones -- These scones are INCREDIBLE!! The brown butter takes them over the top and they can be made with frozen blueberries!
- Triple Chocolate Scones -- If you love chocolate, these are definitely the scones for you! Chocolate scones with chocolate chips inside and drizzled with a chocolate glaze!
- Mini Chocolate Chip Scones -- One of my favourites, these scones are so dainty and perfect for tea time! Do not skip the glaze!
- Birthday Cake Scones -- These scones are ridiculously fun and yummy!! A perfect birthday breakfast, if you ask me!
- Sundried Tomato & Smoked Cheddar Scones -- Savoury scones are so tasty and these ones are no exception! The tangy sundried tomatoes are perfect with the smokey flavoured cheese!
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an authentic review and star rating in the comments below. Or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets and be sure to tag me. Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets! ♡
Jalapeño Cheddar Scones
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- mixing bowls
- measuring cups & spoons
- pastry cutter
- silicone spatula
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup cold salted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh jalapeños (remove seeds)*
- 1 ¼ cups shredded cheddar cheese (I use medium cheddar)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Cut the cold cubed butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter until the pieces of butter are the size of peas. Fold in the chopped jalapeños and shredded cheese.
- In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg. Add to the flour/butter mixture and gently fold with a spatula until the dough just starts to come together. Turn the contents of the bowl onto the countertop and knead/press the mixture just until the dough comes together.
- Shape the dough into 3 even rounds each about 1 inch thick. Cut each round into 4 even wedges using a pizza cutter or large knife and arrange them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 17-20 minutes or until lightly golden. Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,