This Poppy Seed Pound Cake is buttery, moist, absolutely loaded with poppy seeds, and topped with a tasty almond icing.
Do you like poppy seeds? I'm ¼ Ukrainian and poppy seeds are a pretty common ingredient in Ukrainian and other European baking. Their slightly nutty flavour that goes well with almond extract is amazing added to neutral flavoured baked goods. One of my favourite Ukrainian baked goods is Pampushky, a fried yeasted doughnut filled with sweetened almond poppy seed paste. They are SO good, especially dusted with powdered sugar!
This recipe was inspired by a childhood memory of mine. From the time I was 4 until I was 7 years old, my older brothers and I were in Ukrainian dancing. I remember being at a dancing competition in Mission, British Columbia and eating a poppy seed loaf from a bake sale that was moist, absolutely packed with poppy seeds, and topped with delicious icing. This memory popped into my head not long ago and I knew I needed to recreate it myself!
Love this Poppy Seed Pound Cake? Here are some other quick bread recipes to try next!
- Zucchini Bread Recipe -- A perfect way to use up fresh garden zucchini in the summer.
- Glazed Pumpkin Bread -- This is the BEST recipe for pumpkin bread! Save this recipe to make this Fall.
- Carrot Bread Recipe -- This quick bread is incredibly moist and full of delightful spices.
- Olive Oil Banana Bread -- A great recipe for slightly healthier banana bread with walnuts.
If you make this recipe (or have made any of my recipes!), I invite you to please share an authentic review and star rating in the comments below. Or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets and please be sure to tag me so that I can see it. Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets! ♡
Poppy Seed Pound Cake
- 9x5-inch loaf pan
- non-stick cooking spray or butter
- mixing bowl
- measuring cups & spoons
- electric handheld mixer
For the Batter:
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup poppy seeds
For the Icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Grease a 9X5-inch loaf pan with non-stick spray or butter.
- In a large bowl using an electric handheld mixer, cream together the softened butter and sugar on high speed for 30 seconds. Add the eggs and almond extract and continue beating at high speed for another 30 seconds or until fluffy and light in colour. Add the sour cream and mix just until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda. Sift into the wet ingredients and mix at low speed just until no streaks of flour remain. Do not overmix! Fold in the poppy seeds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth out the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool mostly before topping with the icing.
To Make the Icing:
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, almond extract, and 1-2 tablespoons of milk to make a pourable icing. Drizzle over the moistly cooled loaf. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,