Chocolate Frosted Banana Cupcakes -- soft & fluffy banana cupcakes made completely from scratch and topped with creamy chocolate buttercream frosting!
Sometimes simple, classic flavour combinations are the best when it comes to food. Banana and chocolate. Peanut butter and jelly. Raspberry and chocolate. Caramel and apple. Chocolate and peanut butter. Lemon and raspberry. So many yummy foods that go so well together!
These cupcakes are the dessert version of a banana chocolate chip muffin. Except the chocolate frosting is on top instead of in the batter. I actually thought about adding chocolate chips to the batter and then decided against it because I didn't want the cupcakes to be overly sweet. But if that sounds good to you, feel free to add some in for more chocolatey goodness! I'd suggest ½ cup to 1 cup of chocolate chips. Mini chocolate chips would be fun if you have them!
In search of more great recipes to try? Here are some of my favourites to get you started!
- Homemade White Bread - there's nothing like homemade bread made completely from scratch!
- Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake - perfect for summer, this decadent cheesecake requires no baking whatsoever! Topped with plenty of fresh raspberries of course!!
- Chewy Coconut Oatmeal Cookies - these cookies are crazy popular on Pinterest and I'm not surprised, they are so chewy and ridiculously tasty!
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an authentic review and starred rating in the comments below, or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets! Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets!
Chocolate Frosted Banana Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups mashed banana (about 3 or 4 bananas)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the Frosting:
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
To make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Line 12-count cupcake tin(s) with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl using an electric handheld mixer, cream the softened butter and sugar on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the eggs, vanilla, and mashed bananas and continue beating for 30 seconds until fluffy.
- In another smaller bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add into the wet ingredients and mix on low just until incorporated.
- Scoop the batter into the lined cupcake tin(s), filling each cup ¾ full. Bake in a 400℉ oven for 5 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350℉ and continue baking for another 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cupcake comes out clean. Let cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling completely before icing. Bake the remaining cupcakes.
To make the Frosting:
- In a heat-safe bowl, melt the butter and chocolate chips together in the microwave in 20-second increments, stirring between each increment until fully melted. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until solid.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, cream the chilled butter/chocolate mixture until fluffy. Add the cocoa and powdered sugar and mix on low until incorporated, then add the milk starting with 1 tablespoon and increase the speed to high and whip until fluffy, adding milk until desired consistency is reached. Frost the completely cooled cupcakes using a piping bag fitted with your desired tip. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,