The best fluffy, soft banana cupcakes with yummy cream cheese frosting. Topped with a sprinkle of nutmeg or cinnamon for a pretty garnish, these cupcakes would be delicious for fall!
Although I don't do a lot of cupcakes or even cakes here on my blog, I do enjoy a good cupcake! For me, a good cupcake is one that is soft and fluffy but still nicely moist. It must have flavour and a yummy frosting, but not too much frosting. I probably don't do cupcakes that often because you usually need to decorate them, which is definitely not my specialty.
Since I struggle with piping icing to decorate, I try to stick to the simplest tips and designs possible. Just a big blob in the middle of the cupcake with a large star tip or a little swirl like this is all I do!! It works!
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an honest review in the comments below, or share on social media using #kneadsomesweets!
Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 12-count cupcake tin
- cupcake liners
- large mixing bowl
- electric handheld mixer
- measuring cups & spoons
- piping bag
- large open star piping tip (or whichever tip you'd like to use)
for the cupcakes:
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons milk
for the frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg, to garnish
to make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Line a 12-count cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl using an electric handheld mixer, cream the softened butter and brown sugar on medium speed until combined. Add the eggs, vanilla, and mashed bananas and continue beating for 30 seconds.
- In another smaller bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add into the wet ingredients and mix on low just until incorporated. Lastly, mix in the milk.
- Scoop the batter into the lined cupcake tin, filling each cup to the top. Bake in a 400℉ oven for 5 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350℉ and continue baking for another 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cupcake comes out clean. Let cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling completely before icing.
to make the frosting:
- Using an electric handheld mixer, whip the softened cream cheese and butter on high speed until creamy. Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing on low until fully incorporated. Lastly, blend in the milk and increase the speed to high and beat for 30 seconds.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with your desired tip with the finished frosting. Pipe onto each cupcake, distributing it evenly between all the cupcakes. Sprinkle each cupcake with a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg to garnish, if desired. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,