These Mint Muddy Buddies (also called puppy chow) are made with Chex cereal coated in melted Andes chocolate mints and white chocolate and then a generous coat of powdered sugar and cocoa!
Need a little snack/treat to munch on while watching Christmas movies? I believe this chocolate mint puppy chow is the perfect Hallmark movie-watching snack. Definitely elf-approved - I mean, it is breakfast cereal coated in chocolate and powdered sugar! I added some cocoa powder to the powdered sugar coating in this recipe to cut the sweetness slightly. Make this and some eggnog cookies and you have a perfect Christmas movie date!
Most recipes for muddy buddies have peanut butter, but this recipe is completely nut free! If you love chocolate and mint together, be sure to check out my Mint Chocolate Cheesecake or these Andes Chocolate Peppermint Crinkle Cookies that everyone loves!
⭐️ Why You Need to Make This Recipe
- Easy! Melt chocolate. Coat cereal in chocolate. Then coat in powdered sugar. So simple!
- Fast and no-bake. You can have this tasty snack ready in under 20 minutes.
- Gluten-free. If you use rice chex or corn chex this recipe is gluten-free. But be sure to check the box of cereal.
Here are the ingredients needed to make these mint chocolate muddy buddies.
- Chex Cereal - I have used rice or corn chex. Corn is my preference but some of my family members prefer rice.
- Andes Creme de Menthe Mints - You can find these at London Drugs here in Canada or most grocery stores in the US. Or buy them on Amazon: Andes Mints
- White Chocolate - Use chopped white chocolate or any chips that actually have cocoa butter and will melt well.
- Powdered Sugar - Also called confectioners sugar or icing sugar.
- Cocoa Powder - A little cocoa cuts the sweetness a bit. Use any kind of cocoa powder.
See the recipe card for measurements.
Step 1: Combine the chopped Andes mints and white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and begin heating in 15-second increments, stirring between each increment.
Step 2: Heat just until melted and smooth. Do not microwave for longer than 15 seconds at a time or the chocolate will sieze.
Step 3: Pour the melted chocolate over the Chex cereal in a large bowl.
Step 4: Gently and quickly fold to coat the cereal.
Step 5: Sift the combined powdered sugar and cocoa powder into the bowl.
Step 6: Fold gently again until all the pieces are coated in powdered sugar.
Here are some possible substitutions and variations to keep in mind if you try this recipe.
- Chex - Use any kind of (unsweetened) Chex to make this recipe. Corn is my preference but rice or wheat Chex would work too.
- White Chocolate - You could use milk or dark chocolate instead of white chocolate.
Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days for the best fresh crunchy texture.
💡 Top tip
Be very gentle when you fold the melted chocolate and then the powdered sugar in to prevent crushing the cereal.
Muddy buddies are Chex cereal typically coated in melted chocolate, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. This recipe does not use peanut butter.
They can be if you make them with rice or corn chex and all other gluten-free ingredients.
🍿More Fun Snack Recipes
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
If you tried these Mint Chocolate Muddy Buddies or any other recipe on my website, please leave a ⭐️ star rating and write a little note telling me how it went in the comments below. Thank you!!
Mint Muddy Buddies
- measuring cups & spoons
- mixing bowls
- 4 cups rice Chex cereal
- ½ cup Andes Crème De Menthe Chocolate Mints chopped (see link in notes)
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- ¾ cup powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, sifted
- Place the Chex cereal in a large bowl. Place chopped Andes chocolate mints and white chocolate chips in a small bowl and melt in the microwave in 15-second increments, stirring between each increment.
- In another bowl, stir together the powdered sugar and sifted cocoa powder. Pour the melted chocolate mints over the Chex cereal and gently stir just until all the cereal is coated in the melted chocolate. Sift the powdered sugar/cocoa mixture over and toss until fully coated. Enjoy!