Caramel Cheesecakes in a Jar - creamy no-bake vanilla cheesecake atop a buttery graham cracker crust topped with velvety homemade caramel sauce.
If you know me, you know I love making all kinds of cheesecakes! S'mores cheesecakes, eggnog cheesecake bars, mini egg cheesecakes, strawberry cheesecakes, Nutella Oreo cheesecake bars, you name it! Cheesecake is definitely one of my favourite desserts! If someone offers me cheesecake, I probably won't turn it down!
No-bake cheesecakes are great because they are pretty much fail-proof. Simple ingredients and simple steps make this recipe a great one to whip up when you don't have a lot of time to deal with a fussy recipe!
Let’s talk about how to make the simple homemade caramel sauce for these Caramel Cheesecakes in a Jar:
First thing: sugar. We use simple granulated white sugar for this caramel sauce. Super simple but super important, we start with white sugar and bring it to such a high temperature that it melts into a golden brown syrup. I suggest that you use a heavy saucepan that is safe to very high temperatures for melting sugar. We don’t want our pot melting with our sugar! So, melt the sugar over medium heat, stirring often with a silicone spatula. The sugar will form clumps as it melts, but don’t worry, this is completely normal. All the clumps of sugar will melt into the syrup as you stir. When all the sugar is melted and the mixture is amber in colour, remove from the heat.
Next: salted butter. I prefer using salted butter to make this recipe, simply because I always use salted butter in my baking, but unsalted would be fine too. Add the butter to the melted sugar while whisking briskly. The mixture will bubble up so be sure to step back to avoid being splattered with the hot sugar while whisking. Make sure the butter is fully incorporated before slowly pouring in the whipping cream. Again, make sure you whisk the mixture to get that cream incorporated as soon as possible. Pouring in the cream too quickly might cause the caramel to seize. Simply avoid this by pouring in a small steady stream as you whisk.
Lastly, stir in vanilla extract + salt. Pour the caramel sauce into a heat-safe container (such as a measuring cup) to cool fully before topping the cheesecakes.
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an honest review in the comments below, or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets!
Caramel Cheesecakes in a Jar
- 12 (125ml) jars
- mixing bowls
- electric handheld mixer
- heavy saucepan
- measuring cups & spoons
- rubber spatula
For the Crust:
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon salted butter melted
For the Cheesecake Filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
For the Caramel Sauce:
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup salted butter cubed
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
To make the Crust:
- Stir together the graham crumbs, white sugar (1 tablespoon), and melted butter in a small bowl. Scoop about 1 heaping tablespoon of the crust mixture into the bottom of each jar and pack down to make a crust for each cheesecake. Set aside.
To make the Caramel:
- Prepare the caramel next to allow time for it to cool before topping the cheesecakes. Heat the sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat while stirring. The sugar will form clumps as it melts before completely melting and turning golden/amber in colour.
- When fully melted remove from heat and quickly whisk in the cubed butter (the mixture will bubble up when you add it). Make sure the butter is fully incorporated before slowly adding the cream in a small stream. Pouring in the cream too quickly might cause the caramel to seize. Whisk briskly until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Finally, stir in the vanilla and salt and pour the sauce into a heat-safe glass measuring cup to finish cooling to room temperature while you make the cheesecake filling.
To make the Filling:
- To a large bowl, add cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat with an electric handheld mixer on high speed until creamy. Add whipping cream and continue beating until soft peaks form.
To assemble the Cheesecakes:
- Distribute the filling evenly between all 12 jars, smoothing the filling on top of the crust. Top with the cooled caramel sauce, using about 1 tablespoon of caramel per cheesecake. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Serve topped with whipped cream if desired. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,