This indulgent no-bake Chocolate Orange Cheesecake is made with an Oreo crumb crust and topped with a delicious orange-kissed milk chocolate ganache!Jump to Recipe
Chocolate and orange is a flavour combo that you don't see super often but it sure is a delicious one. I think it's a perfect Christmas flavour! My first encounter with this combination was a Terry's Chocolate Orange! Those magical orange-shaped chocolate treats have always been a favourite in my family at Christmas and this indulgent cheesecake tastes exactly like one!
This cheesecake gets its bright (yet natural) orange flavour from a few ingredients:
- Pure Orange Extract - Nothing artificial here! Be sure to get "pure" extract. (The ingredients should simply be orange oil and alcohol in a pure extract.)
- Orange Zest - Lots of fresh orange zest give a vibrant orange flavour! Just make sure you don't zest into the orange pith, as it will be bitter. Only zest the very outside orange-coloured area.
- Orange Juice - Now this one isn't super significant in achieving the orange flavour. I use orange juice in this recipe where I would typically use a little bit of lemon juice. It is mostly to add a tangy flavour to cut the sweetness!
Chocolate Orange Ganache 101
Now let's talk about the delightful ganache on this cheesecake! I decided to go with milk chocolate for this ganache to better achieve that quintessential chocolate orange flavour.
Ganache is so simple to make yet so amazing! Simply warm whipping cream until scalding (very hot but not boiling). You can do this in the microwave or in a pot on the stove. Whatever you do, make you you watch on it because it will try to boil over! I like to heat cream in 20 or 30 second increments in the microwave.
For this chocolate orange ganache we will add orange zest right into the hot cream in addition to the milk chocolate chips. (If you are using bars of chocolate instead of chips, simply chopped into small pieces first and measure ¾ cup.) Next, we will let the mixture sit for about 1 minute to allow the chocolate to melt in the hot cream. At this time, the orange zest will also be steeping in the cream and infusing it with so much flavour. Then whisk into a luscious ganache! Lastly, if desired, you can also add 1 tablespoon of spiced rum to your ganache to give it a wonderful little kick. This is completely optional, of course, you can totally leave this out. I think it adds another flavour dimension to this dessert!
Love cheesecake? Here are some of my favourite cheesecakes to try next!
- Mint Chocolate Cheesecake - Another perfect Christmastime no-bake cheesecake!
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars - Pumpkin spice cheesecake bars with a gingersnap crust - so good!
- Mini New York Cheesecakes - These mini baked cheesecakes are incredible!
If you make this recipe (or have made any of my recipes!), I invite you to please share an authentic review and star rating in the comments below. Or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets and please be sure to tag me so that I can see it. Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets! ♡
Chocolate Orange Cheesecake
- 9-inch springform pan
- Wax paper
- mixing bowls
- measuring cups & spoons
- electric handheld mixer
For the Crust:
- ½ cup salted butter, melted
- 2 cups Oreo baking crumbs
For the Filling:
- 16 ounces full fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure orange extract
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- ¾ cup whipping cream, divided
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
For the Ganache Topping:
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- ¾ cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon spiced rum (optional)
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan with wax paper (or grease with non-stick spray). Mix together the Oreo baking crumbs and melted butter and press into the bottom of the pan to form a crust. Refrigerate while making the filling.
- Place the softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, orange extract, orange zest, and orange juice in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric handheld mixer, starting on low and increasing to high speed, until smooth.
- Heat ½ cup of whipping cream in the microwave in 20-second increments until scalding. Add the semisweet chocolate chips and let sit for 1 minute. Whisk until smooth and fully incorporated. Add the still-warm mixture to the cheesecake batter and beat on low until combined. Add the remaining ¼ cup of whipping cream and beat on high until fluffy and smooth. Pour over the prepared crust and smooth out the top. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- While the cheesecake is chilling, make the ganache topping. Heat the ½ cup of whipping cream in the microwave in 20-second increments until scalding. Add the orange zest to the hot cream followed by the milk chocolate chips and let sit for 1 minute. Whisk until fully incorporated. Lastly, add the spiced rum (if using) and whisk until combined. Let cool to room temperature before pouring it on top of the slightly chilled cheesecake. Smooth out the top and refrigerate for at least 5-6 hours or until fully set. Serve with whipped cream and garnish with orange slices and chocolate shavings, if desired. Enjoy!