These Triple Chocolate Scones are any chocolate lover's dream! Fudgy chocolate scones with semisweet chocolate chips inside, topped with a drizzle of chocolate icing.
I'm not quite sure if you could call these chocolate loaded scones a suitable breakfast food. 🤷🏻♀️ Maybe if you eat them with something more nutritious! I think they would make a delicious breakfast with an omelette and fresh fruit. Or alongside Egg's Benedict. Yummy!! Now I'm craving breakfast, haha!
If you've been following my blog for awhile, you know that my love for scones runs deep. There's nothing like whipping up a batch of buttery, warm scones to have with afternoon coffee (or tea!).
If you have not made afternoon scones, you definitely need to try it sometime! It would make a great Sunday afternoon baking project! Check out all of my scones recipes here!!
Here are some GREAT scone recipes that you need to try sometime!
- Mini Chocolate Chip Scones - these mini scones are SO adorable and crazy delicious! One of my all-time favourite recipes on my site!!
- Birthday Cake Scones - these scones taste just like funfetti cake! What's not to love? Vanilla scones with sprinkles, white chocolate, and chocolate chips!
- Strawberry Shortcake Scones - Summer in a scone! 😍 I cannot wait until July when we have tons of strawberries in our garden to make these scones!!
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an honest review in the comments below, or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets!
Triple Chocolate Scones
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- mixing bowls
- measuring cups & spoons
- pastry cutter
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ cup cold salted butter, cubed
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Icing:
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
To make the Scones:
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa, sugar, and baking powder together in a large bowl. Cut in the cold butter using a pastry cutter until the pieces of butter are the size of peas. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Whisk together the cream, egg, and vanilla in a small bowl and add to the flour/butter mixture. Stir together until the dough just starts to come together. Turn the contents of the bowl onto a clean counter and knead the mixture just until the dough comes together. Do not over-mix!
- Shape the dough into 3 rounds each about 1 inch thick. Cut each round into 4 wedges using a pizza cutter or large knife and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the scones cool on the baking sheet before topping with the icing.
To make the Icing;
- In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sifted cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and milk. Add the powdered sugar gradually and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over the cooled scones using a spoon, a ziplock bag with the corner snipped, or a piping bag. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,