Rich and comforting, these Apple Oat Scones feature flavours of cozy cinnamon, tart apples, and hearty oats.Jump to Recipe
The inspiration for this recipe actually came from a cup of coffee. A few years back, Starbucks had a Fall drink called the "Apple Oat Flat White". I'm pretty sure it was just a flat white made with oat milk and apple syrup. Yes, yes, it does sound like an odd flavor combo with coffee but once I tasted it I was in love! I think I had one for the first time right after I passed my driving test so it held extra nostalgia for me because of that association, haha.
Sadly, Starbucks doesn't make that drink anymore so I decided to make a scone with those yummy flavors that would go perfectly with a cup of coffee! These scones taste like apple crisp and apple pie but in a buttery scone. This recipe is super simple and fast to make for a coffee-time treat.
Here are some more delicious Fall recipes to try!
- Mini Pumpkin Cupcakes - Tender and mini, these pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting are sure to be a hit!
- Apple Spice Muffins - These muffins are filled with tart apples and plenty of cozy spices.
- Fudge Brownie Pecan Pie - This fudgy pecan pie combines two delicious desserts into one fantastic pie!
As you may have noticed, this post is the first after an almost 6-month blogging hiatus. I was not planning to take such a long break from publishing new recipes, however, life has been busy. I've been working full-time since June and I'm still trying to figure out how to juggle blogging and all the other life stuff going on! These months have been exceptionally busy but also exciting with some travel in the summer and my brother getting married earlier this month amongst other things.
But I'm back at it again and enjoying baking, testing, photography, and blogging more than ever after taking a break! I'm hoping to post a few Christmas recipes starting next week so keep an eye out for those! Thank you for continuing to follow along and supporting my blog!!
If you make this recipe (or have made any of my recipes!), I invite you to please share an authentic review and star rating in the comments below. Or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets and please be sure to tag me so that I can see it. Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets! ♡
Apple Oat Scones
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- mixing bowls
- measuring cups & spoons
- pastry cutter
- pastry brush
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup quick-cooking oats
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup cold salted butter, cubed
- 1 cup thinly chopped apples (peeled or unpeeled)
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- optional: whipping cream to brush on top before baking and coarse sugar to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and baking powder together in a large bowl. Cut the cold cubed butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter until the pieces of butter are the size of peas. Fold in the chopped apples.
- In another bowl, whisk together the whipping cream, egg, and vanilla. Add to the flour/butter/apple mixture and gently fold with a spatula until the dough just starts to come together. Turn the contents of the bowl onto the countertop and knead/press the mixture just until the dough comes together.
- Shape the dough into 3 even rounds each about 1 inch thick. Cut each round into 4 even wedges using a large knife and arrange them on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the top of each scone with some whipping cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes or until golden. Let cool on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!