Post and recipe photos updated April 2020. Super chocolatey and moist like chocolate cake but better with a glaze/icing that tastes like freshly brewed coffee --- Mocha Frappuccino Scones.
Mocha Frappuccino flavoured scones! Sounds good right? That's exactly what these scones are; super good!
↓ Look at how beautiful that scone is! ↓
I love making scones! So much so, that the first recipe I posted on my blog was a scone recipe! I like to experiment with a base recipe and make it my own by making up all kinds of crazy flavour combinations.
Like these amazing scones reminiscent of a Starbuck's Mocha Frappe. It's my brother's favourite drink to get at Starbuck's and I was thinking of him while I created this recipe.
I was thrilled when he tried them for the first time and he absolutely LOVED them!! The whole batch didn't even last a day in our house!
I love the idea of the two-tone icing on scones so I used it here with a coffee icing followed by the same coffee icing with a little bit of cocoa powder mixed in to make a mocha drizzle.
This is a recipe that every one MUST make!! They're just that good! I mean, coffee and chocolate together!! What's not to love?
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an authentic review and starred rating in the comments below, and share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets! Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets!
Mocha Frappuccino Scones
- baking sheet
- parchment paper or non-stick cooking spray
- mixing bowls
- pastry cutter
- measuring cups & spoons
For the Scones:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ cup cold butter cubed
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder or instant coffee
For the Icing:
- ¼ cup strong brewed coffee, cooled
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cocoa powder
To make the Scones:
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Cut in the cold butter using a pastry cutter until the pieces of butter are about the size of peas.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, egg, vanilla, and instant espresso ( or instant coffee). Add to the flour/butter mixture and mix until a loose dough forms. Turn out onto a floured counter and knead it gently to form into a ball.
- Shape the dough into 3 rounds each about 1 inch thick. Cut each round into 4 wedges using a pizza cutter or large knife and place them on the prepared baking sheet, leaving room for the scones to spread a bit.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool on the pan while you make the icing.
To make the Icing:
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together cooled coffee, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Transfer 2 tablespoons of the icing to a separate bowl and whisk in cocoa powder.
- Dip the cooled scones into the coffee icing to coat. Transfer cocoa icing into a plastic sandwich bag with a very small hole cut in the corner and pipe onto the coffee glazed scones. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,