Dark Chocolate Raspberry Pavlova -- marshmallow-like pavlova topped with lightly sweetened whipped cream, fresh raspberries and a drizzle of luscious dark chocolate ganache.
This would be such a lovely dessert for Valentine's Day! Or try my no-bake Raspberry Jello Cheesecake for a sweet dessert for your sweetheart!
Pavlova has got to be one of my favourite summer desserts! Its beautiful pillowy soft interior and crunchy exterior is amazing. The sweetness of the meringue pairs perfectly with light whipped cream and fresh fruit.
I first made pavlova a few years ago and have made it at least once every summer since then with this recipe from NatashasKitchen.com. Natasha is one of my biggest inspirations in the food blogging world! When I grow up as a food blogger I want to be just like her!! 😜 But seriously, her recipes are amazing and her blog is so inspiring! Her recipe for pavlova is incredible and this recipe is largely adapted from hers so I honestly can't take much credit for the actual pavlova recipe. But the topping combination was my idea...
I usually top pavlova with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and kiwi. While thinking of recipes to develop and post this summer, my mind kept going to combining raspberry and chocolate. So, I thought, why not make raspberry-chocolate pavlova?! Tart raspberries and bitter-sweet dark chocolate would go really well with the sticky sweetness of the pavlova! So this recipe was born.
I kinda really love this messy-but-beautiful photo of this half-eaten pavlova. If you have never tried pavlova it probably just looks messy and sloppy. But if you know just how amazing the textures and flavours of this recipe are, it will be a thing of living beauty in your eyes too!
Oh, and one more reason to make pavlova! It's naturally gluten-free!! Alright, I think that's enough convincing... now go make some pavlova! You're going to love it, I promise! Speaking of love, wouldn't this recipe make an absolutely perfect Valentine's Day dessert?! 😍
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an authentic review and starred rating in the comments below! Or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets! Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets! ♡
Dark Chocolate Raspberry Pavlova
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- large mixing bowl
- electric handheld mixer or stand mixer
- measuring cups & spoons
- silicone spatula
- piping bag fitted with large open star tip
For the Pavlova:
- 3 egg whites at room temperature
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
For the Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
For the Chocolate Ganache:
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces 70% dark chocolate chopped finely
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
To make the Pavlova:
- Preheat the oven to 225℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the room temperature egg whites in a large mixing bowl and start beating with an electric handheld mixer (or stand mixer) on high speed for about 1 minute or until frothy. Very slowly stream in the sugar while mixing and then continue to mix on high speed for 12 minutes or until glossy, stiff peaks form. Gently fold in the vanilla, lemon juice, and cornstarch with a spatula.
- Transfer meringue to a piping bag fitted with a large open star tip and pipe 10 even nests (building up as you would while frosting a cupcake) onto the prepared baking sheet, allowing 1-2 inches between each for spreading. Use a spoon to create a slight well in the center of each nest. Bake immediately in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Turn off the oven when the baking time is over and let the pavlova sit in the hot oven for another 30 minutes before removing to allow to fully cool before adding the toppings right before serving.
To make the Whipped Cream:
- Combine 1 cup of whipping cream and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a medium-sized mixing bowl and whip using an electric handheld mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
To make the Chocolate Ganache:
- Place the finely chopped dark chocolate in a heat-safe bowl. Heat ¼ cup of whipping cream in the microwave or on the stove until scalding. Pour over the dark chocolate and let sit for 1 minute to allow the chocolate to melt before whisking until fully combined and smooth. Let cool to room temperature before assembling the dessert. Put the room temperature chocolate ganache into a ziplock bag with the corner snipped (or a piping bag) to top the pavlova.
- Place a cooled pavlova on each plate and use a spoon to break in the top to allow more space for the whipped cream to sit. Scoop a generous amount of the prepared whipped cream into the center of the pavlova. Arrange some raspberries on top of the whipped cream. Finish the pavlovas off with a drizzle of ganache on top of the raspberries and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,