These Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are perfectly soft & chewy and have amazing caramelized flavour from the brown butter in the recipe!
If you have never tried the absolute flavour-WOW that is brown butter, I'd suggest you change that asap! Like these Blueberry Brown Butter Scones, this new chocolate chip cookie recipe is next level thanks to the step of browning the butter before using it in the recipe. 🙌🏻
Brown butter can take a regular baked good to over the top with its nutty, toffee, caramelized notes. Such a wonderful trick for making your baking GREAT instead of just good!! Find my instructions for browning butter in the recipe below. It is really so easy!
Love cookies as much as I do? Here are some of my most popular cookie recipes!
- Homemade Oreo Cookies - This recipe is made super easy with a cake mix in the cookie dough and the cream cheese frosting, although not like a classic Oreo, is delicious with the chocolate cookie!
- Chewy Coconut Oatmeal Cookies - These cookies are SO yummy!! A plate of these will never last long!
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies - If you like soft & chewy cookies, these are definitely for you! I could eat so many of these cookies...
- Best Ever Ginger Cookies - Fall is just around the corner and I cannot wait to whip up this year's first batch of these perfectly chewy and spicy ginger cookies!
I hope you love these cookies as much as I do! They are probably up in my personal top 5 favourite cookie recipes! The combination of brown butter in a soft chocolate chip cookie with pecans is just incredible.
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an authentic review and star rating in the comments below. Or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets and be sure to tag me. Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets! ♡
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- heavy saucepan
- baking sheet(s)
- parchment paper
- mixing bowl
- measuring cups & spoons
- mixing spoon
- silicone spatula
- ¾ cup salted butter (instructions for browning below)
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped pecans
To brown the butter:
- Melt the salted buttter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring frequently until the butter is chestnut brown in colour and has a nutty aroma. It is completely normal for the butter to sputter, bubble, and foam during the process.
- Pour into a heat-safe bowl or container and let cool until the butter is room temperature but still liquid.
To make the cookie dough:
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together the cooled brown butter, sugar, and brown sugar until combined. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until smooth. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and mix just until there are no streaks of flour left. Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped pecans. Cover and refrigerate in the mixing bowl for 1 hour. Do not skip the step of chilling the cookie dough!
To bake the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper or silicone baking mats or spray with nonstick spray.
- Scoop the chilled cookie dough using a medium-sized cookie scoop or teaspoon onto the prepared baking sheets, 8 cookies per pan. Bake cookies one pan at a time in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until just slightly soft looking on top. Let cool on the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling while you bake the remaining pans of cookies. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,