These ginger cookies have everything you could want in a ginger cookie! Chewy, soft molasses cookies filled with warm & spicy ginger, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, black pepper, and chipotle.
This is a repost of a recipe that I posted over 2 years ago, shortly after I started my blog. The recipe is the same but I updated the old photos and rewrote the instructions. New pretty photos, same great recipe!
Of all the ginger molasses cookies I have eaten in my life, I have never tasted any as good as these amazing cookies! Molasses spice cookies tend to have a bad reputation due to having too much molasses or have a bitter aftertaste from too much ground ginger or other spices. No thank you!!
On the other hand, these cookies have just the right amount of molasses making them not too dark but still flavourful and rich! The spice mixture is right on with equal amounts of both ground cinnamon and ginger, a little clove and allspice. Two ingredients give these cookies just a slight kick of spiciness: ground black pepper and chipotle pepper!! Just a tiny bit of each and you've got a delightfully spicy cookie!
These cookies are a Fall/Winter staple in our household. Perfect for a chilly Fall afternoon baking project or a delicious addition to a festive Christmas cookies platter! They are good with a cold glass of milk or with a cup of coffee or tea! Be careful though, you can't stop after eating just one of these irresistible buttery cookies!
I'm not a fan of picking favourites among my own recipes, but I have to say these are probably one of my top faves when it comes to cookies!
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an honest review in the comments below, or share on social media using #kneadsomesweets!
Best Ever Ginger Cookies
- baking sheet(s)
- parchment paper
- measuring cups & spoons
- electric handheld mixer
- mixing bowls
- ¾ cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated white sugar + ⅓ cup to roll cookies in before baking
- 1 whole egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- Add the butter and 1 cup of white sugar to a large bowl. Beat with an electric handheld mixer on high for 30 seconds. Add the egg and molasses and continue beating on high until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and spices to combine. Add to the wet ingredients and mix on low just until no streaks of flour remain. Cover the bowl of dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and roll into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Roll each ball in the extra white sugar to coat. Place 8 cookie dough balls on each pan.
- Bake one pan at a time in the preheated oven for 8-11 minutes or until the tops just begin to crack. Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling. Bake the remaining cookies. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,