Rich dark chocolate cookies with a layer of luscious cream cheese frosting sandwiched in between. 😍😍😍 These Homemade Oreo Cookies are sure to impress!
I know what you are probably thinking "that does not sound like an Oreo cookie!!". I totally agree!! They're Homemade Oreo Cookies.
I don't think anyone will ever come up with a recipe comparable to the Oreo cookies everyone knows and loves. But, we can attempt to make a delicious "chocolate sandwich cookie" that is reminiscent of a real Oreo cookie.
And, since I didn't want to call these cookies "chocolate sandwich cookies", I will call them Homemade Oreo Cookies. Basically my take on a chocolate cookie with white frosting sandwich. Sounds like a pretty great sandwich, eh? I won't judge if you make these cookies for lunch, after all, I was the one who called them sandwiches. 😉
These homemade oreo cookies are super easy to make and require only 5 ingredients!
- Butter (obviously)
- Vanilla extract (btw, do you know how much I love vanilla extract? like a lot, I pour this stuff into everything I bake! plus you can buy amazing tasting vanilla from Mexico that is ridiculously inexpensive!!)
- Cocoa (makes them super dark and chocolatey!)
- Boxed Chocolate Cake Mix
By using cake mix in this recipe you totally skip having to add flour, sugar, and baking soda (or powder) to your cookie dough since they are already in the boxed cake mix! Total win-win situation, right!?
Love cookies? FInd some of my other cookies recipes here.
Homemade Oreo Cookies
- baking sheet
- parchment paper or non-stick spray
- mixing bowl
- measuring cups & spoons
- electric handheld mixer
For the Cookies:
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large-size bowl using a handheld electric mixer, beat together the melted butter, eggs, and vanilla until combined. Sift the cocoa powder and cake mix together using a sifter or a sieve. Add to the wet ingredients and mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are well combined - the dough will be very soft. Cover the dough and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- When the dough is done chilling, remove from the refrigerator and roll the dough into balls, using about 1 ½ tablespoons of dough per cookie. Place on the prepared pans, 12 cookies per pan, and bake the pans on at a time for 12-16 minutes or until the tops start to crack. Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling completely. Bake the remaining pan of cookies.
- Once the cookies are completely cooled, place the cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar in a medium-size bowl and beat with a handheld electric mixer on low speed at first increasing the speed to high as the powdered sugar mixes in, beating for 2 minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Sandwich 1 tablespoon of frosting between two cookies and do so with all the cookies and you will have 12 cookie sandwiches in all.
- Serve with a glass of milk. Enjoy!
Love and cookies,