These Brown Butter Cookie Bars are basically super soft & chewy cookies but made in a pan!! You won't believe how easy & quick it is to make these bars!
The brown butter in this recipe gives these cookie bars a lovely caramel flavour. I include all the steps required to make your brown butter in the recipe below. All you need is butter to make it! Simply cook the butter over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes or until the butter begins to change colour to a lovely golden brown. So we are literally just browning butter, hence the name!!
I love sprinkling flakey salt (Fleur de sel) on top of these bars after they come out of the oven. This is completely optional, but I think it is a great finishing touch to these bars!
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an honest review in the comments below, or share on social media using #kneadsomesweets!
Brown Butter Cookie Bars
- small saucepan
- 9x9-inch baking pan
- parchment paper
- large mixing bowl
- rubber spatula
- measuring cups
- ½ cup salted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ teaspoon flakey salt to sprinkle on top
- To make the brown butter, start heating the room temperature butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring the butter to a boil and let it cook until brown in colour and nutty smelling, about 3-4 minutes total on the stove. Pour the brown butter into a heat-safe bowl to stop the cooking process. Let cool to room temperature before making the bars (about 20 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line a 9x9-inch pan with parchment paper, leaving the edges to hang over the sides.
- Whisk together the cooled brown butter and brown sugar. Add the egg and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Stir in the flour and cream of tartar, incorporating just until no streaks of flour remain. Lastly, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer batter to the lined pan and spread into the corners and level with the spatula. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with flakey salt and then let cool for at least 10 minutes before lifting out of the pan using the parchment paper as handles. Slice into 16 bars once cooled. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,