This impressive homemade Vanilla Bean Creme Brûlée is so perfectly creamy and surprisingly simple to make with only 7 ingredients!Jump to Recipe
Homemade creme brûlée has been on my baking bucket list for quite some time. I love creme brûlée and usually order it whenever it is available on the dessert menu at restaurants. It's just such a lovely dessert. The textures and flavours of the creamy custard and crunchy caramelized sugar just go splendidly together.
I didn't get around to making my own creme brûlée for so long because I was quite intimidated by it. When I finally made it, I was blown away by how simple and easy it actually is! You just need to use the right tools and method and it will be a breeze!
For this recipe, you will need a few things:
You will also need to bake the creme brûlée in a water bath to ensure the custard bakes evenly and has a smooth and creamy consistency. I just use a large rimmed metal baking sheet for this as it fits all 6 dishes on the one pan. Please do not skip this step, the water bath is important!
In testing for this recipe, I found that the perfect ratio of cream to egg yolks is 2 cups of whipping cream to 6 yolks. This gives a lovely rich creamy consistency. You will have 6 egg whites leftover from this recipe, but don't throw them away! Save them to use in another recipe like meringue or pavlova.
FOLLOW KNEAD SOME SWEETS ON SOCIAL MEDIA: FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, AND PINTEREST!
If you make this recipe (or have made any of my recipes!), I invite you to please share an authentic review and star rating in the comments below. Or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets and please be sure to tag me so that I can see it. Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets! ♡
Browse all of my recipes HERE!
Vanilla Bean Creme Brûlée
- creme brûlée dishes or ramekins
- large baking pan (for water bath)
- measuring cups & spoons
- mixing bowls
- kitchen torch
- 2 cup whipping cream (33%)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract or seeds from 1 vanilla bean)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup granulated white sugar
For the Topping:
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325℉. Place the creme brûlée dishes or ramekins in a large pan in preparation for the water bath.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, whisk together the whipping cream, brown sugar, vanilla bean paste, and salt. Heat mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until scalding. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Let steep in the pot for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and ⅓ cup of white sugar until light in colour. While whisking constantly, temper the egg yolks by gradually adding the slightly cooled cream mixture, about ½ cup at a time, while whisking constantly just until fully combined.
- Ladle into the creme brûlée dishes, distributing evenly between all the dishes. Gently scoop any bubble off the top. Fill the water bath pan with boiling water to about halfway up the sides of the dishes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until set around the edges but still slightly jiggly in the center. Take out of the oven and carefully remove the dishes from the water bath and transfer to a wire rack to cool to room temperature before refrigerating for at least 5 hours or until fully chilled and set.
- Right before serving, sprinkle an even layer of sugar on top of the custard and torch with a kitchen torch until golden. Enjoy!
Leave a Comment