Strawberry season is upon us and what better way to enjoy the delicious, sweet berries of June than by pairing them with tart rhubarb and making these elegant little Strawberry Rhubarb Tarts!!
This homemade strawberry rhubarb pie filling is super easy to make and only requires 5 ingredients!! I also use fresh rhubarb and strawberries in this filling to create the perfect sweet/tart balance with lovely, in-season fruit!! So yum!!
This recipe calls for storebought unsweetened tart shells, but you can, of course, make your own pie crust tart shells at home. I love using storebought shells because they are very convenient as you can whip up a batch of tarts in a few minutes for a quick and easy dessert without having to deal with any fussy pie crust! Check out my recipe for Butter Tarts for another easy dessert recipe that can be thrown together in under 20 minutes!
Stay tuned for a fun birthday themed recipe later this month, as Knead Some Sweets is turning 1 year old this month!! 🎂 I can't believe I've been doing this for 1 year already!! I have learned SO much about blogging over the past year an look forward to what this next year holds! Thank you so, so much to all of my amazing, supportive readers for reading my ramblings and making my recipes!! ❤ xoxo
Strawberry Rhubarb Tarts
- 18 unsweetened store-bought tart shells (or homemade)
- 1 ½ cups chopped fresh rhubarb
- 1 ½ cups chopped fresh strawberries
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Arrange the unbaked tart shells on a large baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. While the tart shells are baking, prepare the filling:
- In a medium-size saucepan, stir the chopped rhubarb, sugar, and cornstarch until the rhubarb is coated. Add in the water and turn the stove on to medium heat. Cook the mixture for about 5 minutes, bringing it to a simmer, then add the chopped strawberries and cook on low for about another 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Turn off heat and let stand until ready to fill the tart shells.
- When the tart shells are done baking after about 15 minutes in the oven, take them out and distribute the prepared filling evenly between all 18 shells. Place the tarts back in the oven and bake for about 20 more minutes. Let the tarts cool and serve with whipped cream. Enjoy!
Love and cookies,