Imagine this: soft, buttery scones, perfectly flavored with the subtle sweetness of vanilla and white chocolate, bursting with happy colored sprinkles.... does that not sound just dreamy? That's exactly what I have for you right here! I made these Birthday Cake Scones to celebrate a very special birthday today! Can you guess who's birthday it is?
It's Knead Some Sweets' 1st birthday today!!! That's right, exactly one year ago today, I posted my 1st recipe on this blog! Wow, have I ever learned a lot since then! Just check out my pictures of my Ham & Pineapple Scones in that first post... boy, oh, boy, have I ever improved in the photography department since then!! 😆😂 It is really amazing to look back and to see how much I have learned and advanced in everything pertaining to blogging: recipe creating, writing blog posts, staging food, editing photos, etc. Looking ahead, I know that I have so, so much more to learn, but looking back at how much I have moved forward in one year makes me excited to see what I will learn in the next one, two, three, five, or even ten years of food blogging!! ❤
To say that I'm excited about these scones is a massive understatement, I am positively ecstatic about them!! Since the first recipe I posted was a scone recipe, I wanted to celebrate this special birthday with another scone recipe, 365 days later. The first time I made these scones, I totally fell in love... like I said earlier, soft and buttery, super moist, with tons of vanilla flavor, creamy white chocolate, and finished off with fun birthday sprinkles! Perfectly reminiscent of delicious birthday cake!
To achieve the level of perfect vanilla flavor in these Birthday Cake Scones, I added instant vanilla pudding mix to the dough, please don't leave it out!! If left out the scones will be bland and flavorless and not as soft and tender!! Definitely a must in the recipe's structure! I also use instant pudding mix in my White Chocolate Cranberry Lemon Cookies to create a soft and chewy cookie! By the way, those cookies are one of my personal faves, so make sure you try them sometime!!
I want to give the biggest thank you to all of my readers, some who have followed my blogging journey since day one, and others who have joined along the way!! I am so encouraged to hear that you have been reading my posts and making my recipes!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!! ❤
Birthday Cake Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 100 gram package dry instant vanilla pudding mix (I use JELL-O brand)
- ¼ cup colored sprinkles
- ¾ cup cold salted butter, cubed
- 3 ounces chopped white chocolate (or ½ cup white chocolate chips)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup melted white chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 400℉ and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, pudding mix, and sprinkles. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the pieces are about the size of peas. Stir in the chopped white chocolate.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and vanilla extract. Add to the flour/butter mixture and stir until the dough starts to come together.
- Turn onto the counter and use your hands to gently knead the dough and form it into a round disk about 9 inches in diameter. Cut the round into 8 equal wedges and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the scones in the preheated oven for 14-16 minutes or until the undersides are golden brown. Remove from oven and let the scones cool on the baking sheet for at least 20 minutes.
- When the scones are cooled, put the melted white chocolate into a sandwich bag with the corner snipped off and drizzle over the scones. Garnish with extra sprinkles if desired. Enjoy!
Love and cookies,