All the goodness of confetti birthday cake in cookie form, these Birthday Cake Sandwich Cookies are so fun and yummy! Soft vanilla cookies filled with sprinkles and sandwiched with a layer of almond frosting. Plus a Baking Challenge to celebrate a very special anniversary!
Can anyone guess what we're celebrating today with this birthday cake inspired recipe? Today is my 3-year blogging anniversary!! Three whole years of developing and posting recipes for all sorts of sweets & treats!
A few weeks ago I put out a poll on my Instagram page asking if anyone would be interested in participating in another baking challenge on my blog. I received several responses in the positive, SO... without further ado, I introduce to you the 2nd Knead Some Sweets Baking Challenge!!!
Baking Challenge Details:
This challenge will work pretty similar to my first baking challenge, the only difference: more prizes!!!! That's right, you will have a greater chance of winning this challenge since I will be giving away 4 Starbuck's Giftcards to 4 of the participants instead of just 2 last time!
How to Participate in this Baking Challenge:
- Make at least one recipe from kneadsomesweets.com. It can be any of my recipes! Cookies, muffins, bread, cupcakes, you name it! Whatever catches your eye!!
- Leave a comment on the recipe post with your authentic review and a rating of the recipe. Let me know how the recipe went! I want this to be authentic. I’m not just asking for 5-star reviews. Let me know if you think something is off with the recipe. I want your feedback! Feedback helps me develop amazing recipes! Be sure to leave a starred rating of the recipe in your comment – this helps others see that someone has made the recipe! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- Email a photo of what you made to knea[email protected] and tell me which recipe you tried! This step lets me know which one of my recipes you made and also validates that you have followed all the steps!
- Optional: Complete all 3 steps more than once to get extra entries!
Pretty simple, right? Lots of people participated in my first baking challenge and really enjoyed it and I'm sure you will too!
Once the challenge is finished, I will be randomly selecting 4 participants to each win a $15 (CAD) Starbuck’s gift card!!
This challenge is open to residents in Canada and the United States, although the gift cards will be in Canadian dollars only. Winners will be notified via the email address used to send the photo in step 3 of the challenge. The electronic gift cards will be emailed to the winners after I have established contact with them via email.
This challenge starts today, (Friday) June 26, 2020, and will finish (Monday) July 20, 2020, at 11:59 pm. That's right, this challenge will run for 24 days!! My first challenge only ran for 14 days and some people weren't able to participate before it closed, so I will be extending it by another 10 days this time!
Be sure to complete all steps before then and you will be entered to win one of the gift cards that I will randomly select winners for on July 21, 2020!
The baking challenge is now closed, winners have been randomly selected and notified. Thank you to everyone who participated!
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an authentic review and starred rating in the comments below, or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets! Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets! ♡
Birthday Cake Sandwich Cookies
- baking sheet(s)
- parchment paper or non-stick cooking spray
- mixing bowl
- measuring cups & spoons
- electric handheld mixer
- silicone spatula
For the Cookies:
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 box french vanilla cake mix
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons coloured sprinkles
For the Frosting:
- ½ cup softened butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- ½ teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla)
- 1 tablespoon milk
To make the Cookies:
- In a large-size bowl using an electric handheld mixer on medium speed, beat together the melted butter, eggs, and vanilla until combined.
- Sift in the cake mix and cornstarch and mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are well combined - the dough will be very soft. Fold in the sprinkles, being careful not to overmix and cause the sprinkles to bleed. Cover the dough and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. When done chilling, roll the dough into balls, using about 1 ½ tablespoons of dough per cookie. Place on the prepared pans, 12 cookies per pan.
- Bake the cookies one pan at a time in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling completely before sandwiching with the frosting. Bake the remaining cookies.
To make the Frosting:
- In a medium bowl using an electric handheld mixer on medium speed, whip the softened butter until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and almond extract and beat on low speed until well combined. Add 1 tablespoon of milk or more if the texture is too thick. Pipe or spread with a knife, about 1 tablespoon of frosting per cookie onto the cooled cookies. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,