Lemon Cream Scones - buttery scones with hints of lemon zest and vanilla, baked with a sprinkle of cane sugar on top and finished with a lovely cream icing.
When life gives you lemons, bake lemon scones!!! 🍋 There's something very special about a dainty scone with a cup of tea in the afternoon!
Maybe it's the elegance of it that we don't often see in our busy world. The slow, relaxing pace of sitting down to have tea and scones is truly something wonderful to experience.
Here's a new quarantine activity!! Let's all make some scones and have a virtual tea party! It doesn't have to be fancy, just bake a scone recipe and make a cup of tea.
Most of my scone recipes can easily be made in under an hour, so why not! Plus, if you decide to have your virtual tea party by April 20th, you will still be able to enter the baking challenge that I'm hosting right now! All the challenge details are included in this post if you're interested!
Speaking of my Baking Challenge, I have been absolutely LOVING to see all the entries coming in!! You guys have a strong #quarantinebaking game!
As I said, there's still time to enter! Any entries received before April 20th at 11:59 PM (PST), will qualify for a chance to win the prize!
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an authentic review and starred rating in the comments below, and share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets! Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets!
Lemon Cream Scones
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- mixing bowl
- measuring cups & spoons
- pastry cutter
For the Scones:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant lemon pudding mix powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- zest of 1 lemon (zest only)
- ¾ cup cold salted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream (to brush the tops before baking)
- 1 teaspoon cane sugar or granulated sugar (to sprinkle on top before baking)
For the Icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- zest of 1 lemon (zest only)
- 3-4 tablespoons whipping cream
To make the Scones:
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, lemon pudding mix, baking powder, and lemon zest together in a large bowl. Cut in the cold butter using a pastry cutter until the pieces of butter are the size of peas.
- Whisk together the whipping cream, lemon juice, egg, and vanilla in a small bowl and add to the flour/butter mixture. Stir together until the dough just starts to come together. Turn the contents of the bowl onto a clean counter and knead the mixture just until the dough comes together. Do not over-mix!
- Shape the dough into 3 rounds each about 1 inch thick. Cut each round into 4 wedges using a pizza cutter or large knife and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Before baking, brush the top of each scone with whipping cream using a basting brush followed by a sprinkling of cane sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-17 minutes or until a golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes before finishing with the icing.
To make the Icing:
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon zest, and 3-4 tablespoons of whipping cream or enough to make a pourable icing. Drizzle icing over the slightly cooled scones using a spoon, a ziplock bag with the corner snipped, or a piping bag. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,
Leave a Comment