These Coconut Cream Mini Scones are soft & tender with toasty coconut and a creamy coconut icing drizzled on top! The small size of these scones makes them perfect for tea time!
Coconut seems to be a very commonly disliked ingredient. I, myself am not a huge fan, but I think coconut can be good in the right place. Like in these Chewy Coconut Oatmeal Cookies, the coconut is a very welcome ingredient. Even my cousin who doesn't like coconut enjoyed those cookies greatly!
It's the same thing with these scones. Soft textured coconut scones topped with toasted coconut and coconut icing are actually very good! Now, you may not like them if you are a full-on coconut hater, but if you're kind of on the fence like me, you'll probably find them quite tasty!
Although coconut isn't always everybody's favourite, I do hope that you try these scones and let me know what you think of them!
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an honest review in the comments below, or share on social media using #kneadsomesweets!
Coconut Cream Mini Scones
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- pastry cutter
For the Scones:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ cup cold salted butter, cubed
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 whole egg
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
For the Icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
To make the Scones:
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, sugar and baking powder in a large mixing bowl. Cut in the cold cubed butter with a pastry cutter until the pieces of butter are the size of peas.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the whipping cream, egg, and coconut extract. Add this to the flour/butter mixture and stir until just incorporated. Turn onto a lightly floured counter and knead just until the dough comes together, being very careful not to overmix.
- Shaped the dough into 2 rounds, each about ¾ inch thick. Sprinkle the shredded coconut on top and lightly press into the dough, then cut each round into 8 equal slices (16 in total) and place on the prepared baking sheet, 1 inch apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 9-11 minutes or until the coconut topping is toasted and the undersides of the scones are golden brown. Let cool on the baking sheet before topping with the icing (recipe below) or serve as is. Enjoy!
To make the Icing:
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, whipping cream, and coconut extract until smooth. Drizzle or pipe onto the cooled scones.
Love and Cookies,