Day #3 of our Christmas baking party is here! I present you with Cranberry Pistachio Icebox Cookies!
Today I'm bringing you one of my family's favorite cookie recipes with a little twist added by none other than yours truly!
The original recipe for these cookies came from my great-grandmother (we call her Baba) so in our house, these cookies are simply called Baba's Icebox Cookies.
We usually make them with dried currants, but I decided to change things up a bit and make them with dried cranberries and roasted pistachios instead. They turned out amazing!
The cookie dough base for these cranberry pistachio icebox cookies is just a simple dough made with equal parts white & brown sugar for optimum flavor. Typical cookie ingredients such as butter, egg, vanilla, flour, and baking soda make up the rest of the dough.
I hope you love these cookies as much as we do!
Here are some more Christmas cookie recipes!
Cranberry Pistachio Icebox Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup dried cranberries, chopped fine
- ½ cup roasted shelled pistachios, chopped
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar for 2-3 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and egg and beat until fluffy and light in color. Add the flour and baking soda and beat until flour is fully incorporated. Lastly, fold in the cranberries and pistachios.
- Roll the cookie dough in wax paper into 2 logs about 1 ½ inches in diameter. Place both rolls on a baking sheet and place them in the freezer for 1 hour to firm up.
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ about 10 minutes before you take the cookie dough out of the freezer. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove the cookie dough from the freezer and slice into ¼-inch cookies. Place 12 cookies on each pan and bake for 12-14 minutes or until bottoms are light golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Enjoy!