These buttery Soft Peppermint Sugar Cookies are simple, delicious, and topped with pretty pink peppermint icing and crushed candy canes.Jump to Recipe
It's always special to have a good variety of Christmas cookies on hand this time of year. I love to make plates of various cookies all with different flavours and textures and colours.
These soft and minty sugar cookies topped with whimsical pink peppermint icing and red and green candy canes check all of those boxes. They are buttery and soft with a delicate vanilla peppermint flavour. I really wanted to make a peppermint cookie recipe with pink icing. It just looks so pretty, I think! Kind of reminds me of Who-Ville.
There are two different techniques for decorating these cookies with icing. You can put the icing in a ziplock bag (or a piping bag if you're fancy) and drizzle it over the cookies. Or you can simply spoon a bit of icing onto each cookie and spread it around a bit to cover the top. Either way works well and they both look cute. You don't need to worry about making the icing look perfect, the crushed candy canes will cover any imperfections! 😉 Easy peasy!
I don't know about you, but I personally have no time for rolling out and cutting out cookie dough and then painstakingly piping royal icing on top. These cookies are so simple to make and perfect for those of us who still want sugar cookies but without all of the work, hahaha! I mean, who really needs more fuss?
If you make this recipe (or have made any of my recipes!), I invite you to please share an authentic review and star rating in the comments below. Or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets and please be sure to tag me so that I can see it. Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets! ♡
Soft Peppermint Sugar Cookies
For the Cookie Dough:
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated (white) sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
For the Icing:
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 drop pink or red food colouring
- crushed candy canes for the topping
To make the Cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter, sugar, and brown sugar for 1 minute using an electric handheld mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on high speed.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and peppermint extract and continue creaming until fluffy. Add the flour and baking soda and mix at low speed just until fully incorporated.
- Scoop the cookie dough using a medium-sized cookie dough scoop onto the prepared baking sheets, placing each cookie 2 inches apart to allow room for spreading.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until slightly golden around the edges. Let cool fully before topping with the icing.
To make the Icing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter, icing sugar, vanilla and peppermint extract, and food coloring, adding the milk until a smooth icing with a consistency that you can drizzle is reached.
- Add icing to a ziplock bag (or piping bag) and drizzle or spoon and spread over the cooled cookies. Top with crushed candy canes while the icing is still wet. Enjoy!