These Pumpkin Cupcakes are fluffy & moist, flavoured with real pumpkin and spices, and topped with an amazing salted caramel frosting that totally takes them over the top!
What do YOU think of pumpkin pie? Are you a hardcore pumpkin pie lover? Absolutely abhor the stuff? Or just eat it because that's what is for dessert at Thanksgiving? I would probably fall into the last category. I want to like it, but not many pumpkin pies are actually tasty!! Sometimes it's too pumpkin-y, sometimes way too sweet, not enough spices, yucky crust, etc.
Therefore, I motion that we just make pumpkin cupcakes instead of even messing around with pie!! Come on, what's not to like about moist pumpkin cupcakes with SALTED CARAMEL FROSTING?! So much better than boring pumpkin pie!
If you're afraid of missing the whipped cream part of eating pie at Thanksgiving you will be happy to hear that you can still pile whipped cream on top of the frosting if you'd like. My family does it whenever I make these cupcakes!!
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an honest review in the comments below, or share on social media using #kneadsomesweets!
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting
- 12-count muffin tin
- cupcake liners
- mixing bowls
- measuring cups & spoons
- rubber spatula
- small saucepan
- electric handheld mixer
- piping bag with your desired tip
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 ½ cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
For the Frosting:
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons whipping cream, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
To make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line a 12-count muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the white sugar, brown sugar, oil, eggs, and pumpkin puree until smooth. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Add the flour mixture to the combined wet ingredients and stir just until no streaks of flour remain. Fill each cupcake liner to the top with batter, distributing all the batter evenly between the 12 cupcakes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling completely before frosting.
To make the Frosting:
- Melt the butter, brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons of whipping cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil for 3 minutes while stirring constantly. Pour the cooked mixture into a heat-safe bowl and let cool uncovered at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Add the icing sugar and 4 tablespoons to the cooled mixture and use an electric handheld mixer starting on low speed to whip until fluffy. The frosting will likely be very runny, so cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to harden slightly. Beat the cooled frosting on high speed until fluffy.
- Fill a piping bag with the frosting and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes using desired designed. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,
I made the pumpkin spice cupcakes to set the mood for Fall, they were the perfect start to the cozy season! My teenagers thought they were the best cupcakes they had ever had :)) The salted caramel icing is delicious, so easy to make, and just perfect with the pumpkin cupcake. Can't wait to make them again and again!
The best comment!! ♡ Thank you so much, Nicola, this made my day! I am so glad you enjoyed this recipe!