These light and creamy Blueberry Custard Tarts are made with homemade vanilla custard and juicy blueberries in buttery tart shells.Jump to Recipe
Tarts are always such an easy and conveniently pre-portioned dessert to make for a crowd. They are so much simpler to make than pie and also way less messy to serve. I always use storebought tart shells when I make tarts. Butter tarts, fruit tarts, coconut tarts, you name it; frozen storebought tart shells make all of these delicious recipes so much easier and quicker!
How I developed this recipe for Blueberry Custard Tarts
For this recipe, I started by adapting the custard recipe from my Banana Cream Pie recipe to be suitable for baking. I swapped the milk out for whipping cream to create a richer custard, reduced the amount of cornstarch, and took out the banana flavouring, of course.
The blueberries in this recipe are such a great accompaniment to the rich custard. Try to find sweet and juicy blueberries, they will taste the best in this recipe!
Love blueberries? Try these blueberry recipes next!
- Chocolate Blueberry Smoothie -- This antioxidant-rich smoothie is great for summertime!
- Blueberry Brown Butter Scones -- One of my all-time favourites, these scones are so flavourful and full of juicy blueberries!
- Blueberry Turnovers Recipe -- These flakey turnovers are filled with juicy blueberry filling and topped with creamy lemon icing!
If you make this recipe (or have made any of my recipes!), I invite you to please share an authentic review and star rating in the comments below. Or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets and please be sure to tag me so that I can see it. Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets! ♡
Blueberry Custard Tarts
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- mixing bowl
- measuring cups & spoons
- 18 frozen premade tart shells*
- ¾ cup frozen blueberries
- 2 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange 18 frozen tart shells (or homemade) on the prepared pan. Place the pan of tart shells in the freezer while you prepared the filling.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla extract, cornstarch, and salt until smooth and slightly frothy. Whisk in the whipping cream until fully incorporated.
- Take the tart shells back out of the freezer and distribute the blueberries evenly between all 18 tart shells. Then, distribute the custard mixture evenly between all the tart shells on top of the blueberries. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until mostly set and slightly golden on top. Let cool to room temperature on a wire rack before transferring to the refrigerator to chill fully. Enjoy!