No-Roll Sugar Cookies -- the simplest recipe for soft & chewy sugar cookies without all the work of rolling out the dough! You can decorate these cookies with royal icing or roll in coloured sanding sugar to make them look festive and pretty!
I'm so excited to be sharing this recipe!! These sugar cookies are just wonderful! They are:
- soft & chewy -- the best texture in cookies!
- crispy around the edges
- full of the simple but comforting flavours of butter and vanilla
- suitable to be made year-round
- very easy to make into festive Christmas cookies -- simply decorate with royal icing as you would regular sugar cookies or (even easier) roll in coloured sanding sugar before baking!
- unbelievably easy to make -- no fussy dough that has to be rolled out here!
If that doesn't convince you to make these cookies, I don't know what will.
I have to confess, I've actually never made the rolled kind of sugar cookies myself. Maybe as a kid with someone else, but I have always avoided them since I started baking myself! And I call myself a baking blogger... hahaha!
It's time for a Christmas cookie roundup!
- Eggnog Shortbread Cookies -- this recipe from my first year of blogging (hence the terrible photos!) has been INSANELY popular this year! So simple but you can't skip shortbread cookies at Christmas!
- Best Ever Ginger Cookies -- I will not stop sharing about these wonderful ginger cookies! This recipe makes the best chewy, spicy cookies!
- Mint Oreo Cookies -- these mint chocolate homemade Oreos would be delicious at Christmastime!
- Eggnog White Chocolate Chip Cookies -- another eggnog cookie, but these cookies are amazing, so why not! They are soft, chewy, and the creamy white chocolate chips are so yummy with the spices in the cookies!
Please do not hesitate to let me know if you try this recipe! I am always so grateful for comments/reviews on my recipes. It is so encouraging to hear that people are making my recipes and the ratings/review really help my blog grow!
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an authentic review and star rating in the comments below. Or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets and be sure to tag me. Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets! ♡
No-Roll Sugar Cookies
- baking sheet(s)
- parchment paper or silicone baking mat(s)
- mixing bowls
- electric handheld mixer
- measuring cups & spoons
- ¾ cup salted butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cups granulated white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup granulated white sugar or coloured sanding sugar (to roll the cookies in before baking)
- In a large bowl, using an electric handheld mixer, beat the softened butter and sugar for 30 seconds, starting on low speed and increasing to high speed as the mixture comes together. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla and beat on high speed until fluffy.
- Add the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and cream of tartar and mix on low speed just until combined. Cover the bowl of cookie dough and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- A few minutes before the dough is done chilling, preheat the oven to 350℉ and line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and roll into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Roll each ball in the extra white sugar or coloured sanding sugar to coat. Place 8 cookie dough balls on each pan, leaving about 2 inches of room between each cookie for spreading during baking.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven, one pan at a time, for 9-11 minutes (I found 11 minutes was perfect in my oven, but every oven is different!) or until puffy and no longer wet-looking on top. Let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling. Bake the remaining cookies. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,