Here it is, the perfect new recipe to make for St. Patrick's Day this weekend! These Mint Nanaimo Bars are a delightful twist on classic Nanaimo Bars!Jump to Recipe
Some things get me really excited - these Mint Nanaimo Bars are one of those, but I am also super excited about my new website design! I changed up my logo, site colors, fonts, etc. and I can't get over how much I love it! It's so fresh and clean, so I'm calling this my "spring cleaning"!
Website design talk aside, let's chat about these absolutely divine Mint Nanaimo Bars! This recipe is adapted from my recipe for Homemade Nanaimo Bars. I used the same method for the crust but changed the filling slightly to include peppermint extract for that yummy minty flavor and some food coloring to achieve a pretty pastel green color. The bars are topped with a mixture of melted chocolate and butter to create a 3-layer bar.
Love these Mint Nanaimo Bars but need more recipes to check out? Here are the recipes that I posted in March 2018:
My homemade version of this favorite cookie: Homemade Oreo Cookies
Pi day is tomorrow and no-bake pies are way easier than making pie crust: Peanut Butter Fudge Cheesecake Pie
These hot cross buns are so good, I make them every Easter: Hot Cross Buns
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an authentic review and star rating in the comments below. Or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets and be sure to tag me. Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets! ♡
Mint Nanaimo Bars
- 9x9-inch baking pan
- aluminum foil
- mixing bowls
- measuring cups & spoons
- electric handheld mixer
- silicone spatula
- ½ cup salted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups graham crumbs
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons peppermint extract
- 6 drops green food colouring
- 2 drops blue food colouring
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
For the Crust:
- Line a 9x9-inch pan with aluminum foil. In a medium-size bowl, mix melted butter, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, graham cracker crumbs, and shredded coconut until combined. Press into the prepared pan and refrigerate while making the custard layer.
For the Custard:
- Beat together softened butter, custard powder, powdered sugar, milk, extract, and food colouring using a handheld mixer starting on low and increasing to high as the mixture starts to come together. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes or until fluffy. Using an offset spatula, gently spread the custard onto the chilled crust, being careful not to pull up the crust layer. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
For the Topping:
- Melt the chocolate chips and butter together in the microwave or on the stovetop. Once the other layers have chilled, gently spread the chocolate mixture on top of the custard layer. Chill for 1-2 hours. Slice into 24 squares to serve. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,