These Coconut Cream Tarts are oh so delicious! The creamy homemade coconut custard is naturally flavoured with coconut milk and shredded coconut and storebought tart shells are used to make this tart recipe much easier!
Ah, my first recipe for the month of June! Is anyone else finding it hard to believe we've already been through 5 months of this crazy year?! I don't know about you, but I've definitely needed lots of desserts to make it this far! 😂
Well, hopefully, things will be looking up soon and we can have a lovely summer, filled with lots of fun and (obviously) tasty summer FOOD! Bring on the beach days and barbecues and berry desserts!! Stay tuned for a fun, summery drink recipe coming out next week!
Love tarts and berries? Check out these delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Tarts! This recipe has been quite popular on Pinterest this Spring.
Since developing my recipe for Banana Cream Pie earlier this year, I have been into all the cream pies (and tarts) lately! These coconut cream tarts were definitely inspired by that pie and I look forward to developing more delicious cream pies in the future. Maybe some over the summer!
Here are some summer recipes to get you ready for all the summer produce that will be coming our way soon:
- Blueberry Oatmeal Crumble Bars -- these blueberry bars are so, so good!
- Strawberries & Cream Cheesecakes in a Jar -- one of the first recipes I developed (please excuse the photography! 😬), these no-bake cheesecakes are so fresh and creamy!
- Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake -- this zucchini cake is SO moist and decadent! And the chocolate ganache topping is completely irresistible!! 😍
- Strawberry Shortcake Scones -- these scones are so buttery, filled with juicy strawberries, and (of course) topped with plenty of creamy vanilla icing!
& more to coming soon!
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an authentic review and starred rating in the comments below, or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets! Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets!
Coconut Cream Tarts
- 18 frozen premade tart shells* (I use unsweetened)
- 6 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk (stirred well)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Bake tart shells according to the package directions. (I bake mine at 350℉ for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden brown.) Let cool while you make the custard.
- Whisk together the egg yolks in a small bowl. Set aside. In a medium-sized saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add the milk and coconut milk and whisk until fully incorporated. Place on the stove over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly until the mixture begins to thicken and just starts to boil. Remove from the heat.
- Temper the egg yolks by slowly adding about half of the hot thickened milk/cornstarch mixture to the bowl while whisking quickly. Add the tempered egg mixture back into the pot and stir in the shredded coconut and vanilla extract. Turn the heat on to medium again and whisk constantly until the mixture begins to bubble and registers at least 165℉(74℃) on a candy or meat thermometer (to ensure the egg yolk is fully cooked).
- Distribute the hot custard evenly between the baked and cooled tart shells. Let cool for about 10 minutes before covering with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the custard to fully chill and set. Serve topped with whipped cream, if desired. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,
Leave a Comment