These Oatmeal Raisin Cookies are truly the best! Deliciously chewy & soft and spiced with a flavourful mixture of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and chipotle pepper!
These are not your average oatmeal raisin cookies. They have a delightful buttery homemade cookie flavour, a perfect chewy texture, and the chipotle pepper packs a subtle spicy kick!
Don't have chipotle pepper in your spice cupboard? No problem! One of my readers made my ginger cookies and substituted the chipotle with a mixture of cayenne and smoked paprika.
A great substitution, cayenne provides the spice and smoked paprika the smoky flavour. (Note: Make sure the paprika is smoked paprika. It isn't spicy but has a great smoky flavour. Regular paprika is spicy, but not smoky.)
I haven't personally tried this substitution, but I would recommend using an equal part of each spice. For this recipe, it would be ⅛ teaspoon of each.
This is one of those recipes that has taken a lot of tinkering and tweaking before coming to a version that I am satisfied with. I'm pretty sure I started working on testing this cookie recipe at least back in 2018. Sometimes you have to just set it aside for a while and come back later to figure it out!
Oatmeal raisin cookies are probably the most disliked cookie variety out there, but, I'm telling you, these ones are GOOD!! I'm not even a big fan of raisins in general, but I love these cookies! The texture of the chewy cookie with the chewy raisins inside is unbelievable!!
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an authentic review and star rating in the comments below. Or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets and be sure to tag me. Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets! ♡
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- baking sheet(s)
- parchment paper or silicone baking mat(s)
- mixing bowls
- measuring cups & spoons
- electric handheld mixer
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey (can be substituted with corn syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup quick-cooking oats
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (can be substituted with a combination of smoked paprika and cayenne)*
- ⅛ teaspoon ground clove
- ½ cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar with an electric handheld mixer on high speed for 30 seconds. Add the egg, honey, and vanilla and continue mixing until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. Add to butter mixture and mix on low speed just until fully incorporated. Fold in the raisins.
- Scoop the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet(s) using a medium-sized cookie dough scoop or teaspoon, leaving about 2 inches between each cookie for spreading room. Bake the cookies, one pan at a time, in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until no longer wet on top and golden around the edges. Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling. Bake the remaining cookies. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,