Definitely a classic when it comes to cookie varieties, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are total comfort baking! My take on this favourite cookie has shredded coconut in addition to the oats and chocolate chips.
Comfort foods. Home-baked cookies. Bread fresh out of the oven with butter. A bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup. Roast beef and mashed potatoes. Spaghetti and meat sauce. These are just a few of my favourite homemade comfort foods. What is comfort food for you?
I don't know about you, but I'm finding comfort foods to be quite, well, comforting in these uncertain times. I guess that's why they are called comfort foods! 🤷🏻♀️ There's just something about cooking/baking foods that are familiar and normal to you when nothing around you feels normal.
Baked goods are comfort food to me. I find baking to be soothing and helpful for getting my mind off of other things. Baking is also very normal for me being a baking blogger and all, haha! Seriously, there's nothing better than getting back into the kitchen again after being away for a while!
I hope my recipes bring you joy and comfort even in scary and uncertain times like these. Go make some cookies or maybe some Glazed Pumpkin Bread, another recipe that calls for ingredients that you could already have in your panty!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
These cookies would make for a great baking project right now. Made with simple pantry/fridge staples, they have super simple ingredients and are super easy to make! If you don't have shredded coconut on hand or just don't like it, you may omit it completely and add an extra ½ cup of oats.
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an honest review and rating in the comments below, and share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets! Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- baking sheet(s)
- parchment paper
- mixing bowl
- electric handheld mixer
- measuring cups & spoons
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut*
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper or silicone baking mats or spray with nonstick spray.
- Cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white with an electric handheld mixer on high speed for 30 seconds. Add the egg, vanilla, and salt and continue mixing until light and fluffy. Add the oatmeal, coconut, flour, and baking soda and mix on low speed until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop using a medium cookie scoop or teaspoon onto the prepared baking sheets, 12 cookies per pan. Bake cookies one pan at a time in the preheated oven for 8-11 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and just slightly soft looking on top. Let cool on the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling while you bake the remaining pans of cookies. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,