This best cornbread recipe is everything you could possibly want: it's soft, fluffy, and delicious! Try it served with soup or chilli, or (my favourite way) served warm with butter and honey!
Cold, rainy west coast winter days call for warming, hearty soup or chili for supper. What better addition to a soup meal than homemade cornbread! This cornbread recipe is so simple and made with butter instead of oil, sweetened with honey, and uses buttermilk to make it extra soft & fluffy.
This recipe is also super quick to make! Definitely another bonus!! With only 10 minutes of prep time required and 20 minutes of baking, this is a good easy side recipe to keep when you just need another little something to add to a meal.
If you are not already convinced that you NEED this cornbread recipe in your life, just check out these recipes that I recommend serving it with:
- Slow Cooker Chili -- I love this chili recipe from Gimme Some Oven!! So hearty and perfect for winter!
- Roasted Cauliflower White Cheddar Soup -- this cauliflower soup from Cooking Classy is the bomb! The white cheddar adds incredible flavour!!
- Crockpot Taco Soup -- This taco soup recipe from The Frugal Girls is probably one of my most favourite soup recipes ever! Plus it's SO easy to throw together in the slow cooker!!
If you make this recipe, I invite you to please share an honest review in the comments below, or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets!
Best Cornbread Recipe
- 9x9-inch baking pan
- non-stick cooking spray
- mixing bowl
- measuring cups & spoons
- silicone spatula
- ½ cup salted butter, melted
- ¼ cup liquid honey
- 1 whole egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Grease a 9x9-inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Whisk together the melted butter, honey, and egg in a mixing bowl. Add the buttermilk and whisk to incorporate.
- Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Pour batter into the greased pan and bake in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before serving. Cornbread is great served warm with butter and honey. Enjoy!
Love and Cookies,