Do you like cheesecake? Do you like cupcakes? If you answered yes to both those questions you are going to love these Mint Chocolate Cheesecake Cupcakes!
These cupcakes are insanely good!! I would know after having to test this recipe about 5 times!! #foodbloggerproblems I'm totally not complaining!
This recipe is adapted from one of my family's favorite recipes from an old cookbook. The original recipe uses a boxed cake mix for the cupcake part but I figured I could make these cupcakes 347,863 times better by making the cupcake batter from scratch! And they totally are SO much better made with homemade batter!
The original recipe also called for mint chocolate chips. But Hershey's has since stopped making their mint chocolate chips which meant that I had to find a substitute for them in this recipe! Thankfully, around Christmastime, my mom and I found these Andes mints (that I used in these cookies ) at London Drugs and decided to get some, thinking that we could try making this recipe with them in place of the mint chocolate chips. I tested it out and the results were incredible!!
You need to make these cupcakes!! The cupcake part is soft, moist, and chocolatey and the cheesecake filling is so, so yummy with all the chunks of minty chocolate speckled in it!! I can't even....😍😍😍
You can get your cheesecake fix and your cupcake on at the same time!! Total win!
Mint Chocolate Cheesecake Cupcakes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup oil
- 1 cup cold water
- 4 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup chopped Andes chocolate mints (25 mints)
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and line a 12-count muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder and sugar. Make 3 wells in the dry ingredients: 1 small, 1 medium, and 1 large. Measure the vanilla into the small well, the vinegar into the medium, and the oil into the large. Pour the cold water over top and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Add the softened cream cheese and egg yolk to a small bowl and whip using a handheld electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Fold in the chocolate mint pieces.
- Fill each cupcake liner half full with the chocolate batter, then drop 1-2 teaspoons of cheesecake filling in the middle of each, finally cover with about 1 tablespoon of the remaining chocolate batter. They should be filled all the way to the top with batter and cheesecake filling.
- Bake the cupcakes in the preheated oven for 30-35 minute or until a toothpick inserted into the cake part around the edges of the cupcake comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes and then remove from the muffin tin to finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. These are great served with whipped cream on top. Enjoy!
Love and cookies,