This Spicy Chorizo Potato Soup is comfort food at its finest!
Sometimes you just need a big ole' pot of potato soup.
And by that, I mean a BIG pot of potato soup! Like this one. ⬆️
Like to eat all by yourself.
Well, maybe don't eat the whole pot yourself (that might come with a few adverse side-effects😂), but at least a couple big bowls full!
But seriously guys, this potato soup is that good!
I adapted this recipe from Ali's potato soup recipe. The first time I made it I totally fell in love! I made this soup on a cold, snowy day last winter (you know, a day when you really feel that you need all the extra carbs), and it totally hit the spot! All the bacon and piles of melty cheese on top just has me wishing for snow days and loose fitting sweaters!
All the bacon and huge piles of melty cheese on top just have me wishing for snow days and loose fitting sweaters!
This soup is SO creamy but it doesn't have any cream in it! Flour, milk, and sour cream do the work to make it amazingly creamy and dreamy without adding tons of extra fat. Speaking of tons, check out all the potatoes in this soup!
I use this Freybe fully cooked sausage from Costco in this recipe. It's quite spicy but goes well with the mild potato flavor.
I come from a large family, so cooking for a crowd is something I am used to doing. If you don't have a large family and are wondering what you would do with this much soup, you could use it to meal prep for the week or take it to a potluck!
Spicy Chorizo Potato Soup
- 1 pound of bacon sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 stalks of celery about a cup, chopped into small pieces
- 2 carrots about a cup, chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup flour
- 4 cups chopped fully cooked chorizo sausage
- 4 ½ pounds potatoes peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 4 cups boiling water
- 3 cups milk
- ¼ Tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon
- ½ cup sour cream
- Cheese to serve
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, fry bacon until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove excess fat but leave 1 tbsp of fat with bacon.
- Add, onion, celery, and carrots and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Stir in flour and reduce temperature to low.
- Next, add potatoes, chorizo, water, and milk and stir to combine. Stir in pepper and bouillon. Continue to mix occasionally as it cooks over low heat for about 30-45 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are soft, add sour cream and use a potato masher to mash the potatoes a little bit (if a smoother soup is desired).
- Serve with lots of cheese. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven.
Love and Cookies,