These Pumpkin Spice Scones are tender, buttery, flavoured with delicious real pumpkin and Fall spices, and topped with both vanilla and pumpkin spice icing.Jump to Recipe
This recipe was originally posted way back in 2017. It was a really great recipe, but being one of my earliest blogposts, it was definitely in need of some new photos, recipe instructions, and a better-written blogpost.
You will love how moist and soft these scones are from the real pumpkin purée in the recipe! They are tender without being soggy at all. This recipe calls for my favourite pumpkin spice blend of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. I prefer to use individual ground spices rather than pre-blended pumpkin pie spice. This is simply because I like to add more ginger than you would typically find in pumpkin pie spice.
If you do not have all of these individual spices on hand, you can definitely substitute them with the same amount of pumpkin pie spice. The scones will still be delicious!
Do you love baking scones as much as I do? If yes, here are some more scone recipes to try next!
- Triple Chocolate Scones -- So chocolatey and amazing! Chocolate scones with chocolate chips inside and topped with chocolate icing!
- Earl Grey Scones -- Classy and delicate in flavour and topped with creamy icing.
- Mini Chocolate Chip Scones -- These scones are so fun and tasty!
If you make this recipe (or have made any of my recipes!), I invite you to please share an authentic review and star rating in the comments below. Or share on social media using my hashtag: #kneadsomesweets and please be sure to tag me so that I can see it. Thank you for supporting Knead Some Sweets! ♡
Pumpkin Spice Scones
- 2 ¼ cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspooon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup cold salted* butter, cubed
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Icing:
- 3 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin puree
To make the Scones:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Cut the cold cubed butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter until the pieces of butter are the size of peas.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cream, pumpkin puree, egg, and vanilla extract. Add to the flour/butter mixture and gently fold with a spatula until the dough just starts to come together. Turn the contents of the bowl onto the countertop and knead/press the mixture just until the dough comes together.
- Shape the dough into 3 even rounds each about 1 inch thick. Cut each round into 4 even wedges using a pizza cutter or large knife and arrange them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-17 minutes or until golden on the undersides. Let cool on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes before topping with the icing.
To make the Icing:
- Whisk together the milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar in a medium-sized bowl.
- Transfer 2 tablespoons of the mixture into a small bowl and whisk in the cinnamon and pumpkin purée and add to a small plastic bag with the corner snipped off.
- Once the scones are fully cooled, begin by dipping each of their tops into the icing. Finally, drizzle the pumpkin icing on top in a zigzag pattern over top. Enjoy!