I am so excited to be sharing a twist on one of my family's favourite classic recipes with you all today --- Garlic Cheddar Biscuits.
My mom has made this biscuit recipe for as long as I can remember so this is definitely a favourite of ours! We LOVE these biscuits!
A few weeks ago I was making soup for dinner on a Friday night and Mom asked me to make some biscuits to go with it. I have always been kind of scared of baking any pastry, biscuits or pie dough. I guess pastry just isn't really my strong point when it comes to baking. BUT I can actually make these biscuits without screwing them up so that goes to show how easy they are to make!!
I added some cheddar cheese and fresh garlic to the recipe when I made them a few weeks ago and my family totally loved them! The secret is adding fresh crushed garlic, not garlic powder. The fresh garlic gives the biscuits a nice strong garlic flavor which works really well with the buttery biscuit and cheddar cheese.
I really hope you guys try this recipe!! It is definitely a winner!!
Garlic Cheddar Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup cold salted butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, and cream of tartar in a large bowl. Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or by rubbing the pieces of butter quickly between your fingers until the pieces are the size of peas.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg, milk, crushed garlic, and shredded cheese. Add to the flour-butter mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until the mixture just comes together.
- Turn onto a floured counter and knead 10-15 times until mixture comes together into a ball. Roll out to ½ inch-thickness cut with a 2-inch biscuit cutter or a floured glass.
- Place the biscuits on the prepared pans (12 per pan). Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with butter. Enjoy!
Love and cookies,